Ethnic tensions flare, the struggle for SoMa, Leichhardt leerer, sour gripes
• Who is the Leichhardt non-perving ‘pervert,’ peering over backyard fences? We can’t imagine what they are hoping to see. Could it be a real estate agent or a candidate for the upcoming State election? It’s anyone’s guess…
• It seems new kid on the block Zeus Street Greek eatery has inadvertently created a social media war between Italians and Greeks, or rather lovers of Greek food and lovers of Italian food. The restaurant ran a poster from Donnie Brasco, which depicted Johnny Depp and Al Pacino saying, “Italian Food in the Inner West, Fuggedaboutit” on their Facebook page. Many took offence to the comedic, albeit competitive, approach. Fighting for the Italians, Retail Miss Fix It, Nancy Georges, copped heat for her remarks against the restaurant. Representatives from Zeus apologised, saying the poster was just a bit of fun. Perhaps everyone should just calm down and have a souvla.
• Liberal candidate Michael Manikas announced he will stand in Leichhardt Council’s Balmain Ward to honour his wife Melinda, who recently passed away.
• A Leichhardt community group is campaigning to have the bottom of Marion Street known as SoMa (South of Marion St) from now on. While not as glamorous as the original SoMa in San Fran (even if Glace was still there), the group is hoping local real estate agents and residents will jump on the bandwagon and ‘SoMa’ catches on.
• The Inner West Local Business Awards saw a few sore losers making petty comments about their fellow competing businesses – we can’t say who, but you know who you are.