This muffin recipe courtesy of Aussie Cherries and Trim’s Fresh is not only low fat, but quick and easy to prepare – in fact we predict you will have mixed, baked and eaten your first muffin hot out of the oven in 30 minutes flat! This guilt-free treat is also a great addition to lunch boxes.
2 cups fresh cherries, finely chopped
1 cup oat bran
1½ cups wholewheat flour
1¼ tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon powder
¾ cup milk, reduced and low fat
½ cup honey
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp cherry juice concentrate
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup pecans, chopped and toasted
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Lightly coat muffin tray with cooking oil spray.
2. In a medium bowl, combine bran, flour, baking soda and cinnamon. Set aside.
3. In another medium bowl or in a blender, combine the milk, honey, egg, oil and vanilla extract until smooth.
4. Mix the dry ingredients with the liquid mixture. Stir just until combined. Then add cherries and pecans and continue to stir.
5. Spoon mixture into muffin tray and bake for about 13 minutes, or until golden brown.
6. Let the muffins cool for 10 minutes before removing from tray. Serve warm or cool.